Director of Strategy
This position is 100% remote, except for occasional required business travel. Please see below for more specific information.
About the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network
Founded in 2005, the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to foster a Culture of Life by upholding human dignity through service to the medically vulnerable.
The Life & Hope Network has been led by members of the Schindler family since its inception but now must consider expanding its internal capabilities to match an increase in demand for the services it provides to the medically vulnerable community. This inflection point began in 2020 as the world was crippled with the Covid-19 pandemic and issues that used to be confined to local media, family discussions, and private debates became commonplace featured regularly in social media feeds, on the nightly news, and intertwined in national policy debate. The rights of the medically vulnerable, those with disabilities, and other similarly situated people are now in the forefront of our national dialogue which is increasing the urgency for effective advocacy in this space.
To help actuate this path forward, the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network is seeking a full-time Director of Strategy. This role will work with the Board of Directors and President Bobby Schindler to refine the organization’s mission, assist in adopting a strategy to forward those goals, increase visibility, and promote new fundraising opportunities.
This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate who is seeking to acquire a broad range of skills associated with non-profit operations and public advocacy. The ideal person will have a passion for “pro-life” issues, drive to work diligently on the mission of this organization and have interest in the potential of growing with an expanding operation. This role is envisioned to have a wide range of responsibilities and a degree of independence in how day-to-day work is executed. This would be a great match for an entry level candidate, who is a self-starter, and is seeking to hone their skill set in the realm of non-profit administration, development, and public advocacy
The Director of Strategy will report to the President and work with the Board of Directors to determine short- and long-term organizational strategy with a focus on fundraising and growing the organization. This individual must possess a supportive enthusiasm for mission of the organization and a shared sense of purpose with its supporters. The ideal person will be a proactive problem solver with exceptional communication skills and a meticulous attention to detail. Further, it is preferred, that this individual have either educational background or experience with crafting corporate strategy, using social media to increase visibility of public advocacy, and flexing that position to increase fundraising potential.
GOVERNANCE, MISSION, STRATEGY, & CORPORATE DEVELOPMENT: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning, and outreach.
- Responsible for communicating directly to the President, and work with the Board, providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Responsible for formulating strategy and briefing stakeholders on those plans.
- Responsible for producing monthly reports, focusing on the impact of the mission and success of the organization’s various programs.
OPERATIONS, PROGRAMMING, AND COMMUNICATIONS: Assists in the overall operations of the organization helping to ensure they are sustainable and impactful.
- Perform administrative duties as assigned.
- Assist with implementing viable programing that carries out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for the maintenance and enhancement of the organization’s brand identity, organizational reputation, and national and regional profile among relevant constituencies by actively curating the organization’s social media communication channels.
- Lead special projects as directed by the President.
FUNDRAISING, DEVELOPMENT, AND DONOR RELATIONS. Assist the President and Board of Directors with expanding fundraising and development efforts.
- Cultivate existing donors to expand development potential of that donor pool
- Develop prospect campaigns to acquire new individual donors
- Administer current online and social media fundraising campaigns
- Identify potential grant sources, write letters of introduction and proposals
- Maintain regular communication program with all donors
- Provide the President with information and vision on the future of the organization
- Assist with board meetings, communications.
- Continuous communications with the President, providing daily, weekly, and special updates which may require occasional availability during evenings and weekends.
- Maintain print and digital communications.
- Administer online member/donor database.
- Maintaining comprehensive and accurate records.
- Performing minor accounting duties and helping to organize meetings, including scheduling, sending reminders.
- Using social media marketing tools to create and maintain the non-profits brand.
- Assist in the execution of social media marketing campaigns.
- Interacting with supporters and cases via social media channels.
- Conduct research projects as directed by the President
- Setting key performance indicators (KPIs) for social media campaigns, such as targets for a certain number of shares or likes and measuring a campaign’s performance against (KPIs).
- Alignment with Life & Hope Network’s mission and pro-life world view
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated experience in developing organization strategy, planning, or similar role
- Knowledge of non-profit fundraising strategy with a focus on increasing impact
- Strong written and communications skills
- Familiarity and experience with social media, databases, technology
- At least 1 year of work experience in any industry or field (including part-time work and internships)
- Preferred, but not required: 0-2 years of experience in the nonprofit sector
The Director of Strategy is an at-will employment opportunity with a competitive salary commensurate with experience, plus a pre-tax insurance stipend and a paid time off plan. There is also the opportunity for performance-based variable pay.
This position is envisioned to be 100% remote, from a virtual office, except for occasional business travel that is projected to be less than 10% of the year. This is a full-time position, with effort of at least 40 hours per week expected and required. However, weekly and/or monthly schedules are flexible except for a few periods during the calendar year.
Send resume, cover letter, and brief writing sample (no more than 5-10 pages) to [email protected].